If you remember I semi-recently modded my virtual boy to run on AC power instead of having to buy an expensive AC Adapter.
Well there was several after-the-fact things I noticed.
1. Two cords going opposite way jutting out from the controller. It was really obtrusive.
2. When I put the jack inside there controller there was not a lot of real estate so I had to rip out a lot of the structure inside. That never sat right with me.
3. It looks ugly. Butt ugly. Ugg buttly.
I decided that I would do it right. My good(ish) name would not be besmirched with such shoddy craftsmanship.
I bought myself a brand-new, used controller off eBay to try my hand at this again.
The workbench for this process.
AC Adapter. It supports world voltages so it can be used anywhere with only a physical change to the prongs.
The controller board with the wires soldered on.
Those are actually the contact points for the power. They take 9V DC @ 350 mA at least.
Here is the completed AC Jack. I drilled a small hole out of the top of the controller so the cords are aligned in the same direction.
Everything hooked up.
Closer view of the power connection.
The new controller.
The old and new together.
Overall, much better than before. All the internal integrity is retained and the feel is much less obtrusive. The AC-DC supply itself is also much more versatile. I have a few more projects planned for the VB before I call it done, including trying to fix a broken LED in the array leaving a blank strip when viewing. The ribbon cables were secured with poor adhesive so it’s probably that, but it needs to be fixed. Stay tuned!
BTW: I got all my parts from Digi-Key for those interested.